Wednesday, March 14, 2018

StencilGirl Products & etchall®



I will confess that I am one of those people who just skim directions before I decide to 'wing it' by leaping into a project with zero forethought. Consequently, if something can go wrong, it will. I generally have to try a couple times before I get the desired result and I learn things in the process.  Or I end up with unexpected results aka mistakes. 

That has never happened with an etchall®  product. 

Seriously. The etchall® products work without fail every single time. You gotta love it, right?
At any rate, for this Blog Hop, my friend Karyl Howard suggested perhaps I could etch the glass of a picture frame and then put artwork behind it. Hmmm, cool idea, eh? And I just happened to have a frame on hand. 
I chose a stencil by Pam Carriker, Door to Heart 9, a beautiful 9x12 stencil. First I sprayed the back of the stencil with the stencil spray. I have found this spray to be very helpful when I am doing something precise (such as etching glass). The spray allows you to place the stencil into the exact position you want and it will stick. Which is really nice especially around the edges and the fine detail parts. The spray also allows you to reposition the stencil if necessary and you need to adjust the placement. Conveniently, I was using a dirty stencil, so it is easy to see on top of the glass. 
Once I had the stencil in place, I simply spread the etching creme over top. And then I set the timer according to the package. That is ALL YOU DO! Seriously, it is that easy.
When the timer goes off, you scrape up the etching creme and put it back into the container so you can use it again. 
I placed the glass on a piece of painted paper and was done. Could it be any easier? I think not. But, 
I got to thinking, it would be fun to paint on the backside of the glass, wouldn't it? Especially right behind the little heart.......or you could develop an entire painting behind the glass....or you could etch on both sides. Or maybe drop alcohol ink into the etched parts. Or collage on the back side. Or.....
Well, you see how my mind works, somebody just slap me already.





GIVEAWAY
One lucky winner will receive an etchall® Glass Etching Bee-ginner Kit,
reposition/reuse stencil spray
AND a $25 Gift Certificate to StencilGirl Products!

Enter to win by leaving a comment below.
Then be sure to visit the other blogs in the hop and comment to win.
The more blogs you comment on, the more chances you have to WIN!
One winner will be chosen at random from all blog comments!
(One comment per blog please.)
You have until Tuesday, March 20th at 11:59PM Central Time to leave your comments.
Winner will be announced on
StencilGirl's Facebook page and etchall’s Facebook page on Wednesday, March 21.
Blog Hop Order:

March 14
Mary Beth Shaw (you are here)
Gwen Lafleur
Mary C. Nasser
Debi Adams
Tina Walker
Cindi McGee
Nadine Carlier
Joe Rotella

March 15
Belen Sotelo
Cindy Gilstrap
Kiala Givehand
Janet Joehlin
Anita Scroggins
Erin Reed
Candy Rosenberg
Susie Bentz

March 16
Carol Baxter
Sandee Setliff
Louise Nelson
Terry Ricioli
Christie Troxell
Steph Ackerman
Julie McGuffee

44 comments:

  1. That's beautiful ! It really opens new opportunities to play even more. Would love to see how alcohol inks interact with etching, it must be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely effect Mary Beth. Now you have my mind thinking....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous and I am inspired to do this too! What a cool effect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will this work on a mirror? Where do I get the Etchall? Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hoping and hopping Bailey@baileyfiberart.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant idea to etch a frame that showcases your artwork, Mary Beth!
    Turned out wonderfully!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! Thanks for theinspiration

    ReplyDelete
  8. Etching the glass of the frame added so much depth to your gorgeous piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...I love it! Never would have thought this would have added so much to your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, there are endless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What cool ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! I have more than a few "special" picture frames that I've picked up that this would be good with! I do have the etching cream but it looks like I will now need to get the spray to use with your fabulous stencils! [patglex at gmail dot com]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow!I have never heard of this stuff but it sounds soooo appealing! I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just lovely! I have never tired anything like this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary Beth, you come up with so many wonderful ideas. I love the stencil etch with that painting. Hmmm, I’m thinking of some now! Dee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a great idea! Love the etching paste, got to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love you mixed Media!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wanting to try glass etching!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this stencil and how you used. Nice project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. that is awesome, and fabulous ideas, as well - will we be seeing more etched projects soon?

    ReplyDelete
  22. That came out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. MaryBeth, you crack me up. You write like you speak. Love this project! Love the warmth of the colors, the design, everything. Always impressed by your endless talent!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cool stencil design. It’s nice to know a project will turn out right every time. donna.goggin@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can relate to your way of design! The outcome was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your idea to use alcohol ink with the etched designs. Visions of jellyfish are dancing in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The dimension added by the etching is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMGeeeeeeeeeee..... so very cool... my creative mind is on full throttle!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great painting and project!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So many ideas, sigh :) Love your project MB!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gotta try this stuff!
    (gahebert7@comcast.net)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice project!
    clen3 (at) sbcglobal (dotnet)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have an old hoosier cabinet with broken glass, now I can fix it. Thanks for sharing this. I have a lot of picture frames to try it on too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. great idea. I'm going to have to try this out with my art work.

    ReplyDelete
  36. this is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm in your camp - jump in and work
    with something before thoroughly
    reading the directions. Glad
    everything worked out well for you.
    Encouraging for me. Have to give
    this technique a try. thanks
    for sharing txmlhl(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great frame! Love the stencil you chose! cathymp2119 (at)yahoo (dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  41. Directions? We don't need no stinkin' directions. . . ha!! Really nice! Thank you! dlwilliamson614 (at) gmail (dot com)

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)