Thursday, October 04, 2007

Quilt National

Yesterday I went to see Quilt National with Claire, John and Nancy. It's the 15th year for this biennial exhibit of contemporary quilts. An international show, Quilt National is juried to the strictest standards. The fiber artists I know absolutely swoon if they are accepted and many of them enter year after year after year before they achieve success. I am thrilled for 2 of my friends who are in the show, Emily Lewis (from Cincinnati) and Pat Owoc, from St. Louis. The Foundry, in St. Charles, is very lucky to have this exhibit as it's the only location in the country (other than the Dairy Barn where the show originates) to have the entire show.

And this is one gorgeous show. Simply stunning. It made me want to buy a fancy schmancy sewing machine, take extensive lessons in quilting and wallow in fabric for the rest of my life. Of course I would still have to throw some paint around, in this imaginary future life of mine. But it strikes me that so many of these quilters are achieving a painterly effect with their fiber, a feat that I worship as it seems like it would be so very challenging.

No photography is allowed and I had forgotten my camera anyway, so I'm afraid I can't share any images. The best you can do is to go to the Quilt National site and click on the artist's website (if they have one). If you are anywhere near the St. Louis area though, go see this show. It is totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)