Sunday, October 30, 2005

She's cookin' now

No, I'm not cookin' on my art work, I'm still in a little funk there. I did finally work on some smaller pieces though and made progress which felt good. Hopefully the 4th scanner will arrive tomorrow and we can get that installed so I can work on a commission or two.

In the meantime I have been really cooking, as in the kitchen. Not a lot really, just last Sunday and then again today. If I'm not careful, this may turn in to a ritual. You see, I used to cook before John retired and then he kind of took over that duty as I ramped up my artwork. I think it started because he wanted to eat and I sometimes forget all about food when I am working. I also think he wanted to experience some variety with his food, another thing I am bad about. For instance last week I had tomato soup and 1/2 of a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. Every single day.

So anyway, I had promised John I would get back to some cooking after the shows slowed down. Last Sunday I fixed a very large pot of chili which is one of my specialty dishes if I do say so myself. Not that I could tell you how I do it, it's slightly different each time because I sort of throw stuff in until it tastes right, I don't have anything written down. But tonite I used a recipe that was a winner. I got it from The Splendid Table http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/ and they apparently excerpted it from The Herbal Kitchen: Cooking with Fragrance and Flavor by Jerry Traunfeld. This dish is so good I may need the cookbook.

Tarragon Chicken Breasts with Buttered Leeks

4 servings

2 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts
2 cups chicken broth
4 T. unsalted butter
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 t. fresh lemon juice
2 T chopped tarragon

Put leeks in a large skillet with chicken broth and 2 T. butter. Cook over medium heat until tender and broth has boiled down so the leeks are no longer completely submerged, about 8 minutes.

Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place them on top of leeks, spoon some leeks over top, cover the pan tightly. Reduce heat to low and cook until done, probably 10-15 minutes, depends on the size of the breasts. Don't overcook.

When chicken is done, life pieces out. Increase heat and stir in lemon juice , remaining 2 T. butter and tarragon until butter is melted. Salt and pepper if necessary. Pour leek sauce over chicken and serve.

So that's it, very simple really but a lovely blend of flavors. This definitely needs the fresh tarragon and lemon, so don't even think about dried stuff or that fake lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)