Monday, May 29, 2006

Gypsies, tramps and thieves


You know it's gotta be good for me to get up at 5:15 am. Gypsy Caravan, the annual fundraiser for the St. Louis Symphony was this weekend. It's a flea market/antique bonanza with some craft booths thrown in for good measure.

This was the first time I've attended as we have been out of town in the past. I went with my best flea friend Robin, also known as my good luck charm since she helps me sniff out the best stuff. She has a serious knack for junkin' as she calls it. We went early and paid extra to do the "preview" sale from 7-9am which is why I had to get up so early. Despite the cost ($20 instead of $5), it was TOTALLY worth it as we had the pick of the offerings plus we didn't have to deal with the crowds or the heat.

I found some wonderful items:
- Set of vintage alphabet stamps.......all upper and lower case letters plus some symbols insluding a very cool pointing hand. The letters are maybe 2 inches tall and are a fantastic font. In excellent condition I might add and simply a steal at $8.
- Huge vintage map of Vienna that I was drawn to because of the colors.....warm pink, coral, soft green, sienna. So gorgeous.
- Bag of maps, perhaps 50 or so.
- Game, the Treasure Hunt, from 1940. Wonderful phrases and little letter cards.
- A few books.......one from the late 1800's is a music book. A child's primer from 1901 with lovely drawings.
- A big red metal arrow; it is rusty and just looks super cool. I will hang it in the studio.
- Bag of small wood geometric pieces, painted all different colors.

Great scores all around plus such a fun day. I can't wait to get to work as I have lots of new ideas.

3 comments:

  1. And I was staying at the Hyatt across the street and didn't take time to go to GC. However, reading your blog reminded me that I have lots of things here that I can use....old children's books, aerial maps, just to name two that quickly came to mind. You are an inspiration!
    Sandy
    sanleeott@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:06 PM

    Great STUFF. You know that your show & tell friend is after all of it. Happy that you found neat things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHH.....something else I miss about St. Louis. John and I went last year and were also in line early. I am so glad you got to go and If I'd still been living there we would have seen each other. No, actually we would have been fist fighting and wrestling over the goodies that you found...hee, hee.
    I, too, have that treasure hunt game and haved used those letters (although I hate to) in some neat pieces. And those phrases...perfect for YOUR art !!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)