Monday, April 10, 2006

Word of the day

From Merriam-Webster online Dictionary

irregardless
Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less

Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Usage: Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Wow, I learned something new. I didn't think it was a real word.
Still makes me cringe.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:40 PM

    so I'm a few days behind....but I have to crack up at this word. My father used to use it but as a joke, i.e. using a non-existent word. We always thought of it as that combination you mention.
    Guess we should have looked in the dictionary

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)