Friday, April 12, 2013

Art is You Nashville - Recap, Yee Haw

Once in awhile an art retreat comes along that is something special. Of course I am talking about Art is You. Such camaraderie of teachers and students and organizers; there is a wee bit of magic at play during these events. Sallianne and Ellen seem to conjure it up.

Phyllis Peterson and Victoria Fischer
My friend Julie and I attended the inaugural Art is You (in Nashville) last week. I was there as a teacher and vendor but also took one class from the delightful Leighanna Light. She and I had crossed teaching paths before. She had made a piece for my upcoming book and I liked her style quite a bit which prompted me to sign up for her class. Plus I simply wanted a chance to know her better.
12" x 6" on canvas, Mary Beth Shaw

It is so rare for me to actually make something that I like during a class (see above). Honestly, I think that says a lot about Leighanna's easy going nature. I felt so relaxed that I was able to make some art and it was really so much fun to boot. I want to hang out with her more.
On Saturday night, the retreat shuttled a crew of us downtown to the Saturday night Art Walk. Wow! Nashville rocks. And I'm not talking about music. They have such an active art scene, it blew me away. So many galleries with interesting work. I especially enjoyed the paper cuts shown above. Really amazing work. I love the shadows cast by this work. And I simply can't imagine the patience that is required to make this type of work.

And friends. I feel like everyone at the retreat either was or became my friend as we crossed paths throughout the weekend. It was that kind of gathering.
Cheryl McCloud and Sunny Carvalho
My students made truly wonderful work. I will post it within the next couple of days, so stay tuned.....


8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your kind words- I LOVED having you in class, you are one of those people that I would pay to take my class! And your canvas came out so cool! Wish you could have come to OTR with us, hope to be able to spend more time with you at the next event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nashville was wonderful! So glad I got to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful experience Mary Beth...but then again that always happens at Art Is You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome canvas!!! I love the way it came out!! Glad Nashville was a great experience. Maybe next year for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:12 PM

    Amazing time and wonderful seeing you again Mary Beth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Art Is You sounds like so much fun! I hope I can make it next year. LOVE the houses and the little people on the roof! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:13 AM

    I wish I could have gone to Nashville !!

    Did I miss your secret word on the AG blog hop?

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)