Monday, June 23, 2008

Chris Jordan, Photographer

Every once in awhile I hear about something that makes me so very proud to be an artist.  Proud to be part of something bigger than myself.  Because I like the idea that I am part of an ongoing commentary that has existed for thousands of years.  It is my belief that artists, when performing at their highest levels, offer a mirror to society, through their art.  

Of course I don't do it all the time, but with my Common Denominator series, I have tried to explore something deeper.  Sure, the work is light and funny, but there is more beneath the surface.  It's fundamentally about people and how we are all more the same than different.  People of different times and circumstances, the same, just people.  

And my trash work is a commentary.  An attempt to forge beauty out of trash.  To challenge myself to re-use material, take every day objects, the discards of life - and view them through different eyes. 

Sorry I digressed for a moment there, talking about my own work.  I mainly want to share this amazing video clip with you.  Because here is an artist who is doing it.  Someone who is making art that offers social commentary and allows us to all take a look at where we are.  His work is absolutely amazing and thought provoking.  It's an 11 minute video and is well worth your time.  It made me think.  And think.  And think.  
To watch, CLICK HERE.  

2 comments:

  1. I had seen this work before and it is truly amazing to be able to visualize these things in order to better mentally process them. I cannot imagine the impact that these pieces must have in person.
    I especially appreciate art that acts as a means of social commentary, especially when it causes us to question what we are doing without jumping to conclusions or placing blame, and Chris Jordan's work is an excellent example of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:55 AM

    Hello MB Shaw:

    I noticed that you blogged about Chris Jordan's work, and thought you might be interested to know that he has donated one of his early pieces to our organization, Center for a New American Dream, to be auctioned through eBay/Missionfish. You can see the piece and the auction at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=220260465267

    The consumerist themes of Jordan's work match exactly with our organization, which is why he actually sits on our Board of Directors. New Dream works to shift and reduce consumption in order to protect the environment, promote social justice, and enhance quality of life. You can learn more about our nonprofit organization at newdream.org

    Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about this auction or any related topic.

    Warmly,
    Chris Mastin

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)