Thursday, July 13, 2006

Working Flat

After viewing my studio shots, Dona asked whether I work flat all the time. What an excellent question.

I own an easel and I have tried to use it. But it just doesn't work for me. I am way too active. I pick my pieces up all the time and move them around the studio. Sometimes I stand, sometimes I sit in a tall drafting chair. I move around to try different light. I paint from all four sides. I'll hang the piece from a nail at the bottom of the stairs and I will go upstairs to clear my head then come back down to view it "fresh." Sometimes I sit on the floor with my legs straight in front of me and the piece propped against my feet. I am up, down, all around. Seriously. I will lean a painting against a table or perch it on top of a paint can. I put paintings in the shower and direct paint with a shower massage. When I drip ink and paint, I hold the canvas in one hand, a brush in my mouth, a spray bottle in my other hand and the hairdryer under my arm. The piece itself is in perpetual motion. I fear an easel would simply hold me back.

Yeah I know it's weird. What can I say?

1 comment:

  1. I've just GOT to see this shower massage paint technique in action!! Man, that's creative!
    Shari

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)