First of all, I think I am going to try to be more organized with the blog and post studio pictures every Monday. So here they are. That ugly one (with the hammer) is a piece I was working on over the weekend, see I didn't say how I was working on it, ha. Actually I had been painting it. For so long, in fact, that it was simply embarrassing. I kept painting and painting and forgot it was a gesso board (not a claybord) so I couldn't go back in and "remove" layers like I normally do. Hence the problem. Also the issue of all the texture. Ugh. Just way too much. It was oddly exhilarating to just slam a hammer at this bad boy. I mean I had to hit it HARD!!! And now it is out of my system. Well, kind of - goofy me, I actually like some of the shard parts. So it's still sitting on the floor. I think it's taunting all the other pieces, "let that be a lesson to you all" or something like that.
And the heads. Well, I am working on something for an un-named non profit group (I could tell you but I'd have to kill you kind of thing). I'm joking but they are for an upcoming event and we're not supposed to talk about it, so what do I do but BLOG about it. Hmmm. I have never been good with directions. But anyhoo, these darn heads rock my world. I have two more of them, so four total and I am on the verge of changing my entire body of work as I have soooooo very many ideas of what to do with them, themes, etc. I will show more pics as they develop.
And finally, I started one of the B-I-G canvasses (for my solo show) today. The upcomingshow at phd Gallery in case you just arrived or perhaps haven't been paying attention - just feel free to snigger at me as I continue to talk about it for the next 2 months.
This is a 54" x 54" canvas. That is friggin' big. Nearly as tall as me. I put down a little collage, some hard molding paste, and made some marks on it. Now it stares at me. I may start to paint tomorrow. That collage was a challenge, all in one piece no less. I spritzed it first to loosen the paper fibers, then kind of rolled it from top down, glueing it section by section. I am just a tad obsessive about NO bubbles, so smoothing it out was tough. It is drying nicely though and I think it will be ok. Keep your fingers crossed.