Great Day St. Louis this coming Wednesday. If you are in the St. Louis area, set your DVR for Channel 4 at 10am on 11/24. Come back here to get the details and make the project for yourself.
I think this could be used as a 'countdown' for whatever you desire. I am making two of these for my grandsons (don't tell them!) as a Countdown to Christmas. But I think they would be super cute for nearly any occasion; think about Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Spring Break, End of the School Year, Birthday, etc.
decorative doo dads, as desired
scissors, ruler, cutting mat
glue stick or white glue
paint or colored markers
black marker or rubber stamps of numbers & ink
1. Decide how many matchboxes you need. I am using 25 since I am making a countdown to Christmas. Empty and discard all the matches and pull the drawers out.
2. Count out nine boxes (the outside sleeve part of the box) and glue them together using the glue gun. Then glue seven together, then five, then three.
3. Cut wrapping paper to cover each section of boxes. Here are the dimensions you will need for each section:
2-1/8" x 12-1/2"
2-1/8" x 10-1/4"
2-1/8" x 8-1/4"
2-1/8" x 6"
2-1/8" x 4"
4. Using the largest piece of wrapping paper (see above), glue it around the section of nine match boxes. Glue the next largest around the seven boxes, then five, then three, the one, until all the boxes have been covered.
5. I took some decorative ribbon and glued them around each section to embellish further.
6. After this is all finished, glue the sections together as shown to make the tree. I found the glue gun kept the overall tree more sturdy.
7. Embellish further if desired, see pom poms I added above. You could add glitter or whatever you want.
8. Using a red and green marker, paint the front of each of the match box drawers.
9. Number the drawers from 1-25 using either rubber stamps or simply write the numbers on the drawer.
10. Assemble the drawers randomly making sure that drawer 25 is on the top.
11. Gather tiny treats to put in each drawer - candy, stickers, erasers, etc.
Obviously, there are tons of options with this project so have fun and vary it as you wish.
Enjoy your countdown!!