Saturday, March 11, 2006

First time for everything

Aaack, I've been tagged by Deb Trotter.

What were you doing 10 years ago?
I was 35, living in St. Louis the 1st time. I relocated here in 1993 (from Cincinnati) to marry John (yes, 3rd time is indeed a charm). We were both in the insurance biz and were golfers. Seems like a million years ago.

What were you doing 1 year ago? We had been back in St. Louis for a year and a half at that point. My life as an artist had taken off in ways I could never have imagined. Grandkids were close by. Many new friends. Life was good, just as it is now.

Five snacks you enjoy:
Oh no, this is going to be hard as I love snacks.
Wasabi Broad Beans (crispy), not the peas, has to be the beans and they are impossible to find. Thanks Claire and Marian for getting me hooked on these. Kettle chips, the lightly salted ones. Kettle Korn at the art fairs. Nuts, pretty much any kind but raw cashews are a fave. Chocolate, dark Dove pieces, Snickers when they are shaped like Eggs, same with Reese's, prefer them shaped like an egg, something about the chocolate to filling ratio is better. Brownies made by my friend Debbie. Large Lattes with nutmeg on top.
That was more than five wasn't it?

Five songs to which you KNOW all the lyrics: Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody, I try to sing all the parts. It isn't pretty. Don McClean-American Pie. Jackson Browne-The Load Out. I really relate to this one since we've been doing the art fairs. Meatloaf-Paradise by the Dashboard Light. All right, I know that wasn't five, but I do see a trend there.

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:
Ok, first I'm assuming multi-millionaire here as in BIG money.
The first thing I would do is rent this house in Jenner, CA, the one that is located at the estuary where the Russian River meets the Pacific ocean. We rented it years ago and it was simply stunning perched on the edge of the land with nothing anywhere around. You can sit in the hot tub and watch the seals out on the rocks. Amazing views from each room, it is so inspiring and serene. Anyway, John and I would go out there for awhile and chill then he would leave and I would invite all my CA girlfriends who I miss so much. We would have a girl's weekend doing art, hiking, all the things we love. I imagine that if money was no object we would have a similar life to what we have now but I probably wouldn't do as many shows. I would limit myself to a couple big ones and would take some workshops. We would travel more for FUN and immerse ourselves into life in new places. I don't think I would want to own another home but would rent places so I could explore certain areas in depth. Rent a villa in Tuscany for a season; try the coast of Spain; San Miguel de Allende. I want to hike the Grand Canyon out of the Havasupai Indian Reservation and see Havasu Falls. I would invite friends and family to join us for some of our travels. I am sure St. Louis would still be our "base" city but we would find a different home, more contemporary with large open spaces and better privacy than our current suburban location. I would also give Beth & Frank money so they could get a new home and have financial freedom. Probably a condo for my Mom and Dad. College funds for my nieces and nephews. We would hire domestic help again - we've had cleaning and gardening help in the past and I miss that.

Five bad habits:
-eating when I'm not hungry
-getting so excited when I talk that I interrupt or fail to listen to the other person
-my current failure to stick with a regular exercise program
-impatience
-failure to be in the moment

Five things you like doing:
-love to paint
-walks on the beach, hiking in the woods
-being with friends &/or my family, laughing & talking
-having long talks with my hubby when we go out to eat
-reading, all types of books, fiction, art books, fashion magazines
-Yoga

Five things you would never wear, buy, or get again:
-Lip Fusion (check out Nov. archives and scroll down to the "At what Price" entry)
-Strivectin, another expensive beauty product that is a complete waste of money
-a bikini, my stomach hasn't seen the light of day for over 35 years and I like it that way

Five favorite toys:
-My studio is one big toybox
-iPod and the JBL player that I use with it
-Laptop computer

First time you got kissed: How was it?
I can't even remember who it was how pitiful is that.

First time you drove a car: What kind of car?
Deb, I know you will think I am just stealing your answers but I drove my mom's maroon Oldsmobile Cutlass too.

First Date? I have no earthly idea. I was a nerd child so didn't really date much (at all!) until I got to college. VERY late bloomer.

First time you scrapbooked (if you ever have): A couple weeks ago helping Marian and her family make up a scrapbook for Jeff's birthday. It was fun. Especially cause Marian has so much stuff, like a store almost, and she let us just go at it.

First time you fell in love: Hmm, very hard since I was so slow to enter the romance realm. I thought I was "in love" with Ralph Nichols in the 8th grade. And again in High School. And again in College. And again after one of my divorces. No, that last time is a joke because the minute we got together (both available at the same time) I knew it wasn't and never would be love.

First time you cooked for someone: I cooked for Doug, #2 husband. Spaghetti and meat sauce. It was a big hit, he always loved my cooking which is something I remember well since my first husband was a "foodie" and I never did anything to suit him. He always thought it needed another tweak in some regard. Hence I have conveniently forgotten every thing I might have cooked for him. OH!!! I also remember once when I was in high school (??) and tried to make a strawberry pie. Have no idea who it was for, but my mom wasn't home and I was doing this on my own. I made up the dough for the crust and suddenly totally blanked out on HOW I was supposed to make the crust flat. So I pressed it flat with my hands. Needless to say it was pretty thick.

First time you got on a plane: I was 17, it was a small plane and I was taking a flying lesson that was a gift from my parents for my birthday. I knew I would love it and I did. My first commercial flight was my freshman year of college when I flew to NY to visit my Dad's aunt and uncle.

Five of your favorite movies:
-The Gods must be Crazy
-Harold and Maude
-The Usual Suspects
-In America
-The Shawshank Redemtion

Most memorable moment:
This is hard. I don't think I've had it yet or maybe I don't categorize memories that way. But wait, I do remember one time - absolutely charmed time - with John when we were in Cornwall, England. It had been storming all day and we finally found this amazing country inn where we decided to stay for the night. It was a grand old estate complete with a fire blazing in the foyer, dogs asleep near the hearth. We signed up for dinner and headed to our room where I soaked in a hot bath. After a delightful dinner the weather suddenly cleared and it was crisp and beautiful outside. I wanted to take a walk to see the coastline. Our host discouraged us because it was so wet and dusk was descending. But once I get an idea, well, you know....anyway, we headed out, armed with directions. Hip high foliage, all wet, we plowed through it all on a very rugged trail. Neither of us had any idea where we were going but as if by magic, we appeared in a clearing on the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea. The moon was full, the sea wild. It was Wuthering Heights come to life and I will never forget it, the intensity and romance of that moment.

I think maybe I am supposed to tag someone else now? If Heidi, Beth, Denise or Ruth feel like jumping in that would be cool. If not, that's ok too.

2 comments:

  1. Well, first of all it seems most appropriate for me to add a note since I, too, have a hubby John. Anyhow, I am thrilled to be tagged. I've been waiting for someone to do this to me....but since we just moved, it might be a few weeks before I can get my responses posted. MB...your bad habits are my bad habits...I knew there was a reason I liked you so much.(hee,hee) By the way, I am writing this from Madison. We got here tonight at 7pm and the truck comes Monday morning. So far, so good. The snow here is gone...that's a blessing in itself. AND it was in the 60s when we got to the house. Please keep me posted regarding if you'll be in Madison's Art Show this year. I sure hope so....it would be great to have dinner with you. Thanks again for the tag and I promise to catch up soon. beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mary beth...i am gonna reply to this verrry soon...love getting to know you better through stuff like this!
    and got soooo much from your fabooo demo the other day,thanks again...you are amazing!
    very soon,
    denise

    ReplyDelete

If you are entering a GIVEAWAY, please add your email address in the event I need to contact you.

To avoid SPAM, please write it like this:
stencilgirlproducts (at) gmail (dot com)